Total Pageviews

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
-Muhammad Ali

Monday, August 30, 2010

Settling in the dorm



First of all, I am sorry that I haven't updated my blog in a while. I have been extremely busy since moving in last Thursday; trying to get the Internet working and being away at Newport Beach for cross country camp has kept me occupied. I am preparing for my first class as I write this post. I have had a crazy week, but it has definitely been worth it and I can't believe I am getting ready for my first class of sophomore year.

I moved into my new dorm last Wednesday and it was chaotic to say the least. My mom and I left the house early Wednesday morning and made it up to La Verne in just over an hour. It took me a few hours to figure out my housing situation, but I was able to sort it out and move everything in. We had cross country meetings all day so I hurried to get all my stuff in the room before meeting up with the team. The first night was challenging and pretty lonely, but I already felt more at home than I did in Florida and knew things would get better once everyone started moving in.

The beginning of my very pink dorm room :)

Our much anticipated time trial was Thursday morning and we were up bright and early. I was exhausted and it was hard staying positive, but I knew that I was beyond capable of running a fast 2 miles. The team did a 2 mile warm up together and as were were doing drills, I thought of all the hard work I had put in over the summer. I was ready.

The first mile hurt and my legs felt heavy but I knew that once I got used to the feeling of racing again, I would feel better. The second mile felt great and I was really able to open my stride and relax, despite running a faster pace than I did for the first mile. My teammate Micaela was right behind me for the first mile and as we got to the mile marker, I broke away and picked up the pace. I finished first for the girls team, running 12:33 after making a couple wrong turns. I wasn't completely satisfied with my time, but I think that it was more of an effort course and I felt that I had given it everything I could have. The last 300 meters of the race, I felt the speed training I had done this summer pay off. I felt that I had a little something left in the tank and was able to pick up the pace significantly.

Although I really had hoped to run a faster time, I was able to relax knowing the time trial was over and done with. We left for Newport Beach Thursday afternoon and I was excited to spend a few days with teammates before classes began. It was fun getting to know everyone and running with my teammates and staying in beach houses. I love my new teammates and coaches. Coach Mike and our assistant Coach Jason really put a lot of time and effort in trying to make Camp Runamok a success. I didn't want to leave the beach!

After all the fun and excitement of Camp Runamok and getting situated in the dorms, I am sitting here now trying to get ready for my first day of classes. I can't wait to meet all of my professors and to learn again after a much needed relaxing summer! I will post again soon bloggers! To the Great Oak kiddos, I wish you all the best of luck in your training as you prepare for the upcoming races and fun events ahead! Stay focused and realize that all of your hard work will pay off very soon. :)

I absolutely love my new teammates!
From left to right: Shelby, Micaela, me, Sydney, and Brigitte

4 comments:

  1. Glad that LV is a good fit for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sam. :) I love it so far and I am happy that you are loving Nebraska as well. I miss you though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My room is so pink too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yayyyy for pink rooms Megan! The BEST :)

    ReplyDelete