Total Pageviews

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
-Muhammad Ali

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fullerton Opener


"Big occasions and races which have been eagerly anticipated almost to the point of dread, are where great deeds can be accomplished."
-Jack Lovelock


Today was the big day; the start of cross country season and the chance for all of the hard work I put in over summer to pay off. The Fullerton Opener this morning was our first cross country meet of the season and I can honestly say that I walk away from my race happy and excited for the races to come.

I have been anxiously awaiting my first race with my new team all summer and as I woke up this morning, I was terrified. I was so nervous that I barely ate or drank anything. I was terrified of failure. I knew that I was ready but I started to doubt myself. On top of the pressure I was feeling as we headed to the meet, the boys van ran out of gas and they were forced to push the van to the nearest gas station. I was still having second thoughts during our warm up, but I knew that I needed to forget about all of the negativity and race for my teammates.


It is amazing how my friends and family are able to inspire me on a daily basis; whether it be kind words, a hug, or simply their presence; I am so thankful to have people that support me no matter what. After our warm-up jog, I ran into a couple old high school teammates and the nerves instantly went away. With my friends and family by my side, I knew that I was ready to race.

I didn't get out fast enough the first 100 meters and was boxed in for about 3/4 of a mile. Regardless, I came through the mile at around 6:10 and was feeling pretty strong. As soon as I had a little room, I maneuvered my way up to the top third of the race and gradually tried to pick it up. At about the 2 mile marker, I noticed a girl from UCLA in front of me and decided to make a move. As I passed her, I glanced over my shoulder and realized that it was Taryn Pastoor from Murrieta Valley High School. Taryn is a junior at UCLA and ever since my freshman year of high school at Great Oak, we have been competitive with each other. Ever since I took my sophomore year off from running, I haven't been able to compete at the same level. It was like I was flashing back to my freshman year in the 2 mile racing her at Rancho Verde. As silly as it seems that I was so ecstatic about passing Taryn Pastoor today; I felt the confidence today that I haven't felt since I was a freshman and that was exciting.

I ended up finishing the 6k at 23:53 in 35th place out of about 220 runners. It was an extremely slow course consisting of thick grass and thick sand for most of the race. I ended up beating Taryn Pastoor and wasn't too far off of Anne Randall from Long Beach State (Anne Randall ran for Saugus High School and went sub 5 in the mile). I felt the happiest I have after a race in a long time. I knew that I gave everything I had and left it all on the course. It was a great first race and I am looking forward to the UC Irvine Invitational next weekend. Until then, I am going to enjoy my weekend at home and continue to train hard!

Micaela, Sydney, and I at Olive Garden for the pre-race team dinner

The girls after the race!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Lil' Katie! :)

    What a great first race today! Everyone is so proud of you. Keep up the great efforts and way to lead your team! Good luck at Irvine next week. :)

    Coach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on your first meet. :] You earned that time. Keep it up!

    "Human beings are made up of flesh and blood, and a miracle fiber called courage"
    One of the manyyyy quotes I have plastered all over my walls to motivate me each and everyday. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job Katie! I am glad you are enjoying college and you did great at yoour race! I love you and miss you!!!
    Alexis Messerly :)

    ReplyDelete