Total Pageviews

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
-Muhammad Ali

Monday, June 13, 2011

Pink Holter Monitor


So last Wednesday, I went for my annual check up at the cardiologist. It would be an understatement to say that the experience was miserable. It is more fitting to describe the appointment as horrendous and uncomfortable; so much so that even the promise of a shopping trip couldn't cheer me up. And as we all know, shopping is almost always a guaranteed way to lift my spirits. It wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have it sprung upon me that I would be stuck wearing a holter monitor for 24 hours, destroying any hope I had of leaving the house or following my training plan.

Okay so I am being dramatic, but let me tell you about the uncomfortable experience of being hooked up to one of those suckers. A holter monitor is an ongoing EKG, which is a way to monitor your heart for an extended period of time so that the doctor can observe heart activity more extensively. It consists of a bunch of electrodes that are attached to your chest which are also connected to equipment you have to wear around your neck. Not the most fashionable accessory to put it lightly. Trying to hide the wires was futile and I spent the rest of the day bitterly complaining about the stupid monitor hanging like a medal from my shirt. After waiting at Children's Hospital for 4 hours to see the doctor and then being told I would be stuck wearing a holter monitor I was not a happy camper.

It was a long 24 hours. It would have been a lot easier if they made fashionable holter monitors. For example, if the holter monitor was pink and included rhinestones, it would almost be desirable. Okay, maybe not desirable, but more tolerable than the ugly black holter monitors they currently force people to model. Thank goodness I only have to wear it once every 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment